Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Cycling - Blech

Woke up today prepared to do my normal Monday push workout (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Core) because of the holiday yesterday, followed by a 45 minute cycle, but had to change plans when the opening shift at the gym was a no-show.   I left to go to a different gym and therefore only had time for a 40 minute cycle.

I chose a hill workout today, and banged through 13.3 miles in 42 minutes.  Legs felt fine throughout and had my HR north of 150 for a little while at the end of the workout.  Still can't get used to a saddle, can't wait to get back on the road (how many times can I say this?).

Rehab is still going fine, swelling is significantly decreased, and will plan on one more physio/acupuncture treatment, which should take me through the weekend and hopefully I can do a bit of easy running next week or the week following.

The point of today's post is, how do people ride the stationary bike for so long?  Mentally I find it very tough, even to get through 40 minutes.  There is a built in TV in the usual gym I go to, but I find that bland (especially at 4:30am).  I have taken to listening to podcasts (Talk Ultra is currently on good rotation (http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/talk_ultra.php).  I find this helps, but doesn't compare to my usual blissed out joy when I am outside running a 10 or 20 miler.  I hope that this helps me battle through the tough parts in the mid-late stages of an ultra distance race, but beyond that I don't see a purpose.

Any tips people have with getting through indoor workouts? I know it is a bit early for this, but winter is around the corner, and while I prefer to keep things outside, inevitably there will be a day that requires a treadmill session that I absolutely dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment