Sunday, January 29, 2017

Shoe Review - HOKA ONE ONE Bondi

After running a number of miles in the Tracer (see review here), I started falling in love with Hokas.  So I decided to go and get their maximal shoe, the Bondi, at the other end of the spectrum.  
Sizing: I found the shoe true to size.  Many reviews and complaints about the Bondi, and overall Hoka brand in general has been that the shoes are somewhat narrow, especially in the forefoot.  I did not find this to be the case.  I actually found the forefoot roomy and spacious.  These shoes are super comfortable when you slide into them.  They have good structure, and just feel great on my feet.
Ride: All about the cushion.  I have run shorter runs (8-15miles) and longer runs (25miles+) in these.  They are a great recovery shoe as they give you feet and joints some respite from the road grind.  The cushion is soft, but not marshmallowy, there is still some snap/responsiveness.  These shoes, due to the large stack height of eva are stiff, in that there is little flexibility in the shoe, but they have compensated for this with their meta-rocker technology (essentially the shoe is built on a last allows for a natural transition through mid-foot and forefoot, and even heel to toe-off).  I found the first couple runs took a little getting used to as I am used to a move flexible shoe, but now after running more than 150km in them I don't mind the lack of flexibility and find it a nice comfortable ride.  My only minor complaints are that the shoe is hot - it doesn't breathe very well (I have had the opportunity to look at the new Bondi model, and other Hoka models and they have changed their upper material to something more breathable).  This is ok for now, we are in the midst of a cold spell with -10C temps, but could be an issue in the warmer months.  Also, I did find the shoe less comfortable at the end of the very long run (40+km).  The shoe is heavier than I am used to, though I have done some steady state and speed workouts with it, but on the long run I did find a little more leg fatigue than usual.  I wonder if it is because you end up working a little harder to counter the plush cushioning.
Wear and Tear: Like the tracers, after 150+km, these look brand new.  Very little wear on the outsole, cushioning is still intact, very plush,  and no wearmarks or issues on the upper.  Will be interested to see how long they last.  I suspect they are pretty bomb proof given the beefy EVA,
Price: I picked these up on sale...I suspect you'll get great value for them as they will last a long time.  They currently sell for $100-150 as this model is in the midst of an upgrade to #5.
I would recommend these or suggest you certainly visit your local specialty running store to try a pair on.  I imagine you will find them amazingly comfortable.  These have been a great addition to the shoe pile and a go to for me on recovery days, or days when I want to give my feet a little extra comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment