Sunday, January 24, 2016

2016 News and Goals

Its been a while since I have sat down and pounded the keys.  A quick recap:
2014 - Suffered through a pretty bad bout of achilles tendonitis, which led to me DNS my first ultramarathon (50mi).
2014 - 2015 - Fall through winter, put in a great training block which had me shift focus in 2015 - seeking a BQ for my 40th birthday (turn forty 5 days after the 2016 Boston Marathon).  I ran the 2015 Whitby International Marathon, finishing in 3:05:28, good enough for 2nd overall and 1st in my AG.  This was a BQ, though I had to wait to make sure I made the cut-off (I did, cutoff was 2:28 under qualifying times).  Off to Boston for 2016.  I recovered well, though had a niggle of plantar Faciaitis which developed into a more chronic nerve impingement.  I took a few weeks off in the summer, then got back at it.

I ran the Angus Glen 1/2 Marathon in November, a fairly hilly course.  I led from the start, and won overall in 1:21:10.  I felt great the entire race, except for some persistent foot pain from 8k onwards (see above).

I have been training since, averaging about 60miles/week with some peaks in the 80-85mile range.  I will gradually start to pick that up ahead of Boston.  My goal for Boston is sub-3 hours, and so far, my last long training run - 19 miles, I ran at an overall 3:02 pace, with the final 10 miles at 2:55 pace.  And felt great.  Maybe I am peaking early, but things are ticking.

I also got selected to be a member of Team Running Free.  Excited to be a part of the group, it is a great store I have shopped at often over the last few years, and a ton growing up through my highschool and university days.

Which brings us to goals:

1) Sub 3 hrs at Boston.  I have run under 3 hours in 2 of the 4 marathons I have run.  No sweat.
2) PMA - Positive Mental Attitude.  Pain is Pain, stay positive in running and life.
3) Try to run 3 marathons.  Boston, perhaps repeat Whitby, recovery pending (5 weeks after Boston) and something in the fall.
4) Run more events.  I am hoping to run at least 10-12 events this year.  Will see.
5) Volunteer at a race (or two).
6) Get out on a regular basis with the run group at Running Free, maybe others.

PMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment